The Essential Cloud Migration Checklist
Keeping track of your cloud migration process ensures a faster migration, reduced latency, and improved stakeholder visibility
Pulling off a successful cloud migration is a complex, multi-stage process that can take months for even the most experienced teams to complete. Failing to keep track of a migration’s multiple moving parts or keeping stakeholders up to speed can lead to severe consequences, including potential downtime or loss of critical data.
That’s why we’ve developed a handy cloud migration checklist that we’ve built based on experience from over 50 cloud migrations. Our checklist will ensure your migration is as smooth as possible. Read on to learn more about the specific steps of a cloud migration, the benefits of staying organized, and other important considerations that will aid any organization making the jump. Download our checklist today to help your team get a head start.
Jump to a section…
Who Is a Cloud Migration Checklist For?
Anyone can benefit from a checklist for cloud migration. Even third-party vendors that aid other businesses in making the transition to the cloud create outlines to develop timelines and keep team members working in concert.
More specifically, migration checklists are perfect for legacy organizations, startups, and small businesses that must transition their on-premise data to the cloud.
Every organization’s cloud migration process will be different, but a checklist will help provide a starting point for building the framework that will ensure your team’s migration is successful.
What Does a Cloud Migration Checklist Include?
A cloud migration checklist will help you and your team cover the bases from start to finish by outlining the necessary steps to complete based on your cloud service provider. Checklist categories include:
- Pre-planning: Teams define their goals and identify essential partners who should be involved in the process.
- Planning: This phase lays out critical steps to ensure you’ve created a detailed plan to complete the migration, including taking an inventory of on-premises applications and assessing your migration’s budgetary needs.
- Execution: This phase will help you sort the workload into manageable steps, so your team and your cloud servers aren’t overwhelmed.
- Testing: Accounting for quality assurance steps ensures all data migrate successfully.
- Go-Live: These steps help teams track ongoing monitoring once the migration is complete.
Within each category, steps are laid out sequentially and provide specific details to guide teams through the process. Our checklist offers in-depth information on cloud migration timelines, links to training programs for AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud Partner, and other helpful details to ensure you’re asking the right questions and tracking the right moves every step of the way.
How Our Cloud Migration Checklist Will Benefit Your Business
As the architect of your business’ cloud migration, you will end up simultaneously managing multiple concurrent complex tasks, providing instructions to your team, and reporting outcomes to vital members of your organization. Our checklist will keep your migration organized and help you:
- Maintain an overall structure to your migration: We provide helpful reminders on when to choose your KPIs, create your plan, train staff, and monitor and test throughout the process.
- Keep everyone on the same page: Our checklist ensures organizational visibility so that every stakeholder knows how far the migration has progressed and what is left.
- Set expectations for key stakeholders: Stakeholders need to understand the project’s scope and the resources required to make effective decisions during the migration.
- Mitigate unforeseen complications: Help stakeholders see the big picture, shore up potential deficiencies and develop contingency plans.
Before you start migrating to the cloud, you’ll also need to consider:
- External consultants: If your team lacks the experience or workforce necessary to begin a cloud migration, external consultants can help develop a strategy and manage the execution.
- Integrating migration services: Ensure nothing gets lost by using tools to help manage configurations and monitor data during your migration.
- Cost of migration: Whether you’re bringing a consultant on board or are handling the process in-house, there are costs associated with the resources needed for cloud migration.
Download the Cloud Migration Checklist from DuploCloud Today
We want to help any organization looking to ensure their migration is a success. Within the Cloud Migration Checklist, you’ll find tips on how to plan your cloud migration, essential KPIs to consider before planning, and how to develop a migration timetable to ensure team members and key stakeholders are all working together. We lay out the process in down-to-earth terms so anyone can get started. Download our free checklist today, and begin harnessing the power of the cloud for your organization.