The Top 3 Cloud Migration Tools Speeding Up the Modernization Process
Making the right choice can save your organization time and money
While it’s never been more critical for companies to have a cloud-based IT architecture, many are wallowing in a slow migration process that’s eroding their competitive advantage. In fact, recent research by Matillion and Vanson Bourne revealed that 75% of data teams believe legacy migration and maintenance processes are causing them to burn cash, waste time, and underperform.
With so much on the line, it’s vital for organizations to leverage the latest cloud migration tools as they modernize: These solutions can significantly accelerate a critical (but tricky) process. To help guide your selection, here’s a deep dive into three of the best tools on the market today.
Jump to a section…
What Is a Cloud Migration Tool?
A cloud migration tool is an application or service that supports a company as they move IT architecture like data, servers, and applications from a physical location to a cloud environment or between cloud environments. For many organizations, cloud migration will be impossible to navigate without these tools. The migration process can be extremely complex and time-consuming — so much so that attempting it manually could take several years. Cloud migration tools streamline and accelerate migration, reducing the investment of money, time, and human resources necessary to make the transition.
The 3 Best Cloud Migration Tools
What it is: Capable of cutting migration times and costs by as much as 80%, DuploCloud is a powerful and innovative cloud migration tool rapidly becoming a go-to solution for many companies.
- Allows organizations to easily map their current IT assets onto a cloud environment using a declarative specification of the target topology.
- Enables organizations to modernize their legacy applications using containerization or a managed services approach.
- Makes it simple to continue modernizing applications after the completion of the migration.
- Solves the biggest challenge in migration by maximizing uptime and reliability during the transfer of large data sets.
- Simplifies the cost estimation and optimization process by allowing organizations to rapidly assess the relevant factors and appropriately reserve capacity.
- Uses automation to accelerate the deployment and optimization process.
- Can be used to handle migrations to the Azure cloud, AWS cloud, and other cloud environments.
- While DuploCloud was built by founding members of the Microsoft Azure team, the solution is one of the newest on this list, although the company now boasts 75+ customers
Bottom line: DuploCloud’s innovative tech allows organizations to concentrate on testing and validating their new cloud assets instead of getting bogged down by building migration automations. But as powerful as its automated approach is, DuploCloud is also known for its robust customer service. According to a recent AWS marketplace review, “DuploCloud’s “customer support is excellent and responsive.”
Emerging automation technology is transforming the cloud migration process, and our recent white paper provides an in-depth exploration of this new approach:
#2. AWS Migration Services
What it is: AWS Migration Services is a leading cloud migration software suite that helps organizations move their on-premises IT architecture to the AWS cloud.
- Capable of transferring on-premises, virtual, or cloud IT assets to AWS cloud environments.
- Provides pre-migration analysis via AWS Management Console.
- Can use automation to migrate large workloads rapidly.
- Handles the migration of both homogeneous and heterogeneous databases.
- Enables performance optimization via Amazon CloudWatch.
- Easy to use for most IT teams.
- Will only help organizations looking to move their IT assets to the AWS cloud: Does not work for moving applications to data to Azure, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), etc.
- Infrastructure mapping can be challenging without the use of scripting.
- Cost can be prohibitive for some organizations.
Bottom line: For many AWS Migration Services users, the solution’s support for the migration of both homogeneous and heterogeneous databases is its standout feature. As one G2 review noted, “it’s the most helpful service for migrating database to AWS cloud easily as well as securely to take the advantage of availability, scalability of an AWS cloud for your application, the most amazing thing about AWS Database Migration service is that it supports both homogeneous and heterogeneous migration to the AWS cloud easily.”
#3. Azure Migrate
What it is: Azure Migrate is a free tool that Azure customers can use to assess, plan, and manage the migration of applications and data centers to the Azure Cloud.
- Uses a progress dashboard to help organizations understand and manage the entire migration process.
- Provides pre-migrations assessment via Azure tool ecosystem.
- Enables both data and application migration.
- Supports performance optimization via the tool’s dashboard or through third-party applications.
- Helps organizations remain compliant during the migration process.
- Free to use for Microsoft Azure customers.
- Will only help organizations looking to move their IT assets to the Azure cloud.
- Native cost estimation features lack precision, often necessitating the usage of additional estimations tools.
Bottom line: Azure Migrate is full-featured and powerful cloud migration software that has been reliably handling these kinds of projects for years. And its user reviews reflect this quality: “Flexibility, scalability, security. It is reachable from any PC anywhere if you need to manage. I think it gives more people time back so that they can spend it with their families.”
Learn More About Leading Cloud Migration Tools
From DuploCloud to Azure, this article has explored three of the best cloud data migration tools available. To get a more in-depth look at how leading solutions can help you navigate IT modernization, read our recent white paper. It explores how DuploCloud leverages automation to accelerate the migration process.